Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Planets, Doggie-Counting and General "Where-Did-You-Learn-That!" Amazement

So, we're at the playground today, and Justine and Vasco are giggling while swinging on the swings (if I let them, I think they'll swing for hours!). "Bye bye mommy, we're going high up in the skyyyyy. We're going to save the planets!"
Me: "Bye bye! What planets are you going to?"
Vasco: "Mercury". (to the tune of the "Little Einsteins" episode) "Mercury is closest to the sun...."
Now don't tell me that some TV shows can't be educational!!! In fact, after seeing that episode, the little song they sing is my new method for keeping track of planetary ordering (which I review daily, of course, just in case someone asks!)
Justine was flying to Pluto. I didn't have the heart to tell her that only recently scientists demoted Pluto, and it is no longer a planet. I don't think I knew any of this stuff when I was their age!!!!

Further in the category of "I-can't-believe-they-know-these-concepts":
Justine, last week: "Hey, look at that sunset!"
Vasco, yesterday, upon coughing, "I'm OK, daddy. It just went down the wrong way."
Vasco and Justine, this past weekend: "Uno, dos, tres, cuatro, cinco" Okay, they now know how to count in Spanish??? And people try to tell me daycare is not stimulating??? Miss Celia taught them that.

And speaking of counting, nothing helps your addition and subtraction skills like counting three very energetic pugs running in and out of our friends' Rosie and Joe's house. Justine felt it was her personal responsibility to herd them from room to room and into the yard as a group. I swear she now knows that 2 pugs in the kitchen plus 1 pug on the sofa in the living room equals 3!

No comments: